Want to know more about Lake Eufaula?
A little History On Lake Eufaula Also Known As Walter F. George Lake
Created from the damming of the Chattahoochee River through the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1944, Walter F. George Lake opened in 1967 after six years of construction. The lake was named for Georgia attorney and politician Walter F. George, who served as associate justice of the State supreme court from 1917 to 1922, and as a Democrat to the United States Senate from 1922 to 1957.
At a glance, here are fast facts about Walter F. George Lake:
- 45,180 acres of water
- 650 miles of shoreline
- Created from Chattahoochee River
- Authorized by Congress by the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1944
- Construction began: 1957
- Date opened: 1963
- Six million visitors per year
- 25 parks and recreation areas
- Six campgrounds with 750 campsites
- Four marinas with gas docks, pump-out stations, boat slips, restaurants, boat storage, camping, lodging, picnic areas, trails, ships store
- Major lake attractions: Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge, George T. Bagby State Park and Lodge in Fort Gaines, Florence Marina State Park in Omaha and Providence Canyon State Park.
Information provided by the Great Lakes of Georgia Website.